Sunday, July 20, 2008

More Pics

Hello Everyone,

Thought I might send out a few more pics before I go gallivanting around the
countryside for a week or so.

Tamene is the dean of students at ETC, and he graduated from the college
awhile back. He actually took Preaching while he was in school from Academic
Dean Freyo (who sounds like Michael Corleone's older brother) who in turn
learned preaching from Dr. Vic back in his Ehiopia days. But when he learned
that Dr. Vic himself would teach the course this summer, Tamene decided he
wanted to hear preachification from the horse's own mouth. Naturally, with
his experience and enthusiasm, he excelled in all three of his class
sermons.

There's me at Tsegaye's house, who was one of my students. You wouldn't know
it from the pic, but the place is about a stone's throw from the landfill in
the western slums of Addis. (Fortunately, I have almost no sense of smell,
which may be my spiritual gift.) Tsegaye had to miss several days of class
for a surgery, and I spent a couple hours outside of class with him to catch
him up. In gratitude, he brought me home one day and his wife fed me a fine
meal.

Mike and Gina are enjoying a meal at Metro Pizza, which was a pretty welcome
relief from Njera (Ethiopian food) for us. Mike doing his Ph.D. through a
British school (I always get them confused), but he lives and works in
Dallas. He and Matt (np) taught Survey of Bible Doctrine at ETC. His wife
Gina is a high-school Spanish teacher who worked with several VBS programs,
orphans, and women at risk this summmer, in addition to helping with Sunday
classes and dramas at the international church. Both are a lot of fun.

Our gang did a hike at a national park about an hour out of Addis last week.
Believe it or not, that picture was taken at about 10,000 feet above sea
level. The woman is doing laundry in front of a traditional grass hut.

Hope everyone is well. I'm off to see the wildebeests.

J

No comments: