Monday, May 19, 2008

Thanks!



Dear Friends and Family,

You People Are Generous!

I am astonished and moved by your enthusiastic response to my request for help. Whether with wise words, a promise to pray, or financial support, you all reminded me of the awesome privilege we have to be in this together.

To be honest, I wasn't sure quite how things would turn out. I had this sort of "half-trust" thing going for awhile there. I mean, I felt pretty convinced I was making a wise, God-honoring decision in going to Africa, but not so convinced that I started practicing my rain dance, if you catch my drift.

So all that to say, I praise the Lord for his generous people… You. Through your efforsts, He has provided me with the means to go, the training to help and the spiritual and emotional support to endure. Thanks. Really thanks.

And please do keep me in your prayers. It wouldn't much do for me to get eaten by hyenas because you failed to pray for me. You would feel horrible. Or at least some of you would.

I really did want to send each of you who responded a personal thank you note, but I'm afraid I ran out of time in the midst of all the graduation hullabaloo. I'll have to save that for my return. Things have been pretty hectic these past few weeks.

In fact, my car blew out its intake manifold gaskets the other day. No doubt because some of you weren't praying. (Actually, it probably had a lot more to do with me neglecting some preventative maintenance… lesson learned.) But God be praised— the mechanic was able to fix it in a single day. I told him he had to keep the car until I got back from Ethiopia unless he worked on it right away, which seemed to add a little pep to his tinkering.

I board my plane in about 15 hours, and I'll be pretty hard to get in touch with after that. I decided to switch from email to this blog because it keeps your inboxes clutter-free and word has it, this is the best way to keep in touch via Ethiopia's spotty internet service. Apparently there is a wooden lever for each keyboard key, and a little Swedish guy hides behind the computer and makes the dial-up noise.
 
The blog also allows people whom I have forgotten (sorry!) a chance to read my updates. Let them know!

My prior posts (the earlier updates I sent you) give instructions on how to donate, should anyone else want to participate that way. I have received enough support to defray the cost of the trip and to cover my bills while I'm gone. (Although I am watching for unseen expenses.) Any further money I receive will go toward help me get back on my feet when I return stateside.

Frankly, I am flat broke after four years of seminary. But again, the Lord came through and provided enough help to get me through without borrowing anything on top of college loans. Just pray that Ethiopians have never heard of Peanut Butter and Jelly or Ramen Noodles!

Thanks for keeping up with my journey, and thanks again for your generosity! I praise our Father for the unity we enjoy purchased by the Son and enforced by the Spirit… Meaning it's good fun to serve the Lord with you! It amazes me that I know some of you barely at all, and others I have never met.

The story begins tomorrow!






E-mail for the greater good. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.

No comments: